Niacinamide: One SeeMe Complex's Five Skin Care Superhero Ingredients
Niacina- what? Also called vitamin B3, niacinamide is one of the powerhouse ingredients in the SeeMe Complex TM. We all know there’s no such thing as a skincare miracle…but niacinamide comes close. And the power of niacinamide becomes especially important as we approach menopause, when estrogen depletion leads to skin changes like loss of “cellular energy” or skin cell function.
Niacinamide can be found in kale, avocados, almonds, and mushrooms, among other good-for-you foods. A B3-rich diet can lead to lower cholesterol, higher brain function, and clear, radiant skin. But diet isn’t the only way to get your fix: Applying B3 topically can improve your complexion in a multitude of ways. Specifically, B3 can:
- Increase hydration by strengthening the skin barrier, B3 helps the skin retain moisture.
- Visibly reduce fine lines, wrinkles, redness, and spots. When the skin barrier is weak, irritants can penetrate, causing redness.Age and acne spots are also often caused by irritation. B3’s barrier-strengthening properties help prevent irritants from penetrating while smoothing fine lines and wrinkles.
- Visibly limit shine. B3 reduces sebum—the oil that gives skin a shiny appearance—found in the skin’s surface.
- Visibly improve texture and reduce pore size. Shiny skin reflects light in a way that highlights uneven texture and pores. With less sebum, skin looks smoother and more poreless.
- Increase exfoliation. In order for the skin to exfoliate around every 28 days as it should, it needs the right amount of moisture. B3’s hydrating power helps the skin retain enough moisture so the exfoliation process can occur.
An enduring relationship: P&G researchers and niacinamide
P&G’s beauty scientists have been studying niacinamide (B3) for over 25 years. While many creams contain B3, if they’re not properly formulated, the vitamin can’t penetrate the skin’s surface. Our pharmaceutical screening system has helped us at SeeMe Beauty discover which ingredients combine with this super nutrient to increase its penetration and maximize its effectiveness. And we’ve discovered the secret to stabilizing B3—a notoriously unstable ingredient—so that every pump of product gives you a consistent dose. That’s what we call sharing the love.